- Hits: 182
The use of space heaters introduces a strong fire safety concern. No personal space heaters are allowed in campus buildings. If an area needs temporary supplemental heat, UAH Facilities will issue and install. All space heaters issued by Facilities must meet safety requirements as classified by the National Fire Protection Association. All space heaters must meet the following specifications:
- be UL approved
- must be electrically powered (fuel powered heaters are not permitted)
- must be fan driven
- have elements that are protected from contact
- be tilt-proof (when tipped over, heater goes off)
- be thermostat-controlled
The University of Alabama in Huntsville recognizes that individuals have different levels of comfort associated with temperature and heat. The use of Facilities approved and issued electric space heaters as a temporary measure is permitted in limited applications. Heaters may not be used in areas where flammable liquids are in use or storage. Space heaters are NOT allowed in Residence Halls.
Approved space heaters may be used only if the following conditions are met:
- The heater may only be located on the floor. Heaters located on filing cabinets, tables, desks or equipment are more susceptible to being knocked over, resulting in accidents or fires.
- Never place anything on top of a space heater.
- At least 3 feet of clearance must be maintained around the heater at all times. Combustible materials like paper, plastic, and cloth must be kept away from the heater.
- Electric cords must be kept out of foot traffic paths to prevent tripping.
- Electric extension cords and power strips are not allowed. Heaters must be plugged directly into a wall receptacle.
- The heater must be unplugged (not just turned off) any time the room or area being heated is unoccupied, especially at the end of the workday.
Facilities and Operations reserves the right to approve or reject any space heater request where that heater may create a hazard or is inappropriate to a particular location based on specific circumstances and/or fire safety code requirements. Contact 824-6490 or email@example.com for more information concerning the use of space heaters.